Creating my LMS

 

Taking on the assignment on creating an LMS was a lot more challenging than I expected. Careful thought and planning went into ensuring I had everything I needed to build a successful classroom. I used Canvas to create my classroom and after many YouTube videos and googling I was finally able to set up all my tiles and link everything together.

I began with creating my account, it is free for teachers to create with their school email and once you are working at a school, the school will link your students to your classrooms. Creating the tiles was the most difficult and tedious part of all. I started by Youtubing how to make a tile in canvas. There are many great how to videos that guided me in building a very functional classroom. I created a homepage in which I had labeled tiles so that students would be able to find their assignments, notes, and our Zoom link all in one place. All the tiles created were done in Google Drawings.  I wanted my classroom to function in a way that if I was ever absent, I could leave instructions for the substitute for the kids to log into Canvas, and I would have a pre-recorded video of myself teaching the lesson and their assignment would be there as well as notes for reference. I believe I was able to accomplish this.

Here is a sample of what my homepage looked like. I also have three other tile that are linked to Zoom, Blooket and Notes.                                      

            

  I was able to link all the assignments as well as a video I had previously recorded with a lesson for students to go back as needed for reference on the lesson.

What I would say to anyone thinking about getting into education and wanting to create a successful classroom would be to utilize every resource you are given within your college classes. This information is not just being given out because it must be. It is very important, and it has been very useful within my current role as an instructional aide.

My goal for the future is not only to obtain my degree and certification in teaching but I also want to become a school counselor. I plan on continuing my education in pursuing my master’s degree in interdisciplinary studies. I will also use my time as an educator to take advantage of any certifications the school district may offer so that I can stay up to date with the newest technology to make my classroom a fun and exciting learning experience.

I hope that anyone wanting to pursue education is a lifelong learner, we have to change and adapt to our students and learning is the only way to succeed.

Comments